Monday, August 16, 2010

Suno Fall/Winter 2010

I am currently studying a degree in International Development and Inequality and I often struggle to balance my knowledge of the suffering of those in the "Third World" and my interest in fashion; it seems superficial, self-indulgent and harmful. For this reason, I am in love with SUNO. Started in 2008 by Max Osterweis, SUNO employs local Kenyan's who are treated fairly and respected for their talents. This is a positive project that showcases the incredibly artistry found in Kenya, rather than focus merely on the turmoil and suffering that is experienced there. 

Inspired by Osterweis's collection of fabrics that he gathered over more than a decade of visits to Kenya, sample and pattern makers in NY city's Garment District send their patterns and samples to small workshops in Kenya, where the garments are produced. This is an amazing feat, and I have to say that I'm flabbergasted. Whilst I have been aware of ethical clothing companies, this is the first high end line I have found. I am a huge fan! 


No comments:

Post a Comment